Monday 30 March 2015

This post has a connection to the community garden in the context of environmentally friendly policies, and communities of like-minded people getting together to bring about positive change.

I attended a performance of Brahms' Requiem at the Festival Hall this evening, given the the Wimbledon Choir. It was sublime. However, getting their wasn't.

The weather was getting boisterous, and forecast to get more so, which prompted me to decide to go by bus (I make almost all my London journeys by bike). I was refused entry to the bus because I wanted to pay in cash. I was directed to the newsagent's just along the road. That newsagent directed me to another newsagent over the road who said in order to travel by bus I had to pay £5.00 for an Oyster card plus any bus fares on top.

Refusing to do any such thing so I had to walk the half mile or so to Highbury and Islington station. There, the cheapest off peak travelcard is now a zones 1-6. No such off-peak day travelcard as zones 1 and 2 now. The cheapest day off peak railcard is £12.00. TWELVE POUNDS TO GO FROM HIGHBURY TO THE FESTIVAL HALL! It's an obscene rip off by @LDN_gov, and it is extremely discriminatory.

I can't begin to express how much I object to being penalised with such disgracefully poor value for money because most of the time, weather permitting, I travel by a more environmentally friendly form of transport.

 I so wish people would gather together to stop the political elite and the finance industry arrogantly and complacently getting away with what they do, rather than obsessing about untalented "celebrities".


No comments:

Post a Comment